Audience: NAEMT's EMS Safety is appropriate for all levels of EMS practitioners, other medical professionals providing prehospital patient care, and EMS supervisors and administrators
Course Content: NAEMT’s EMS Safety course teaches students how to protect themselves and their patients while on the job. It promotes a culture of safety and helps reduce the number of on-the-job fatalities and injuries. EMS Safety is the only national, comprehensive safety course for EMS practitioners. Its interactive format features real-life case studies and compelling discussions on current safety issues and provides participants with a forum to share their own experiences. Critical thinking stations help build participants’ risk assessment and decision-making skills.
Participants are taught:
- To identify and manage the hazards that can appear during daily tasks, from offensive drivers to violent encounters to chronic stress.
- Practical strategies that they can apply in the field, from situational awareness to defensive driving to verbal deflection.
- How to strengthen their resiliency skills in order to combat both chronic and critical incident stress.
Topics Covered Include:
- Applying crew resource management in EMS.
- Utilizing situational awareness and defensive driving for safe emergency vehicle operations.
- Employing multi-agency pre-planning, vehicle, and practitioner visibility techniques, and defensive staging practices at roadside incidents.
- Utilizing lift assist teams, lifting and moving equipment, and behavioral controls to protect both EMS practitioners and patients from injury.
- Employing situational awareness to continually assess for the potential of violence on the scene and verbal and physical techniques to deescalate potential threats.
- Practicing infection and contagion control to protect both EMS practitioners and patients from emerging threats.
- Strengthening resiliency skills to help EMS practitioners cope with daily and critical incident stress.
- Ensuring personal readiness for the daily challenges and hazards of working in the field through optimal personal health.
Course Format / Time: EMS Safety is offered as an 8-hour classroom course and is appropriate for all levels of EMS practitioners, other medical professionals providing prehospital patient care, and EMS supervisors and administrators.
Course Materials: Students will be required to have the EMS Safety manual for class. This can be purchased during enrollment.
Enrollment Cut-off: Enrollment closes when the class is full. Those that enroll within a few days fo the class may have their book held until the day of the class.
Certification: Students who successfully complete the course receive a certificate of completion and a wallet card good for 4 years. EMS Safety is accredited by CAPCE and recognized by NREMT.
04-12-2019 9:00 am
Enrollment Open - Space Available