Audience: The PALS Course is for healthcare providers who respond to emergencies in infants and children. These include personnel in emergency response, emergency medicine, intensive care and critical care units such as physicians, nurses, paramedics and others who need a PALS course completion card for job or other requirements.
Participants in the renewal/update class MUST have a current PALS course completion card.
Participants must be able to recognize basic dysrhythmias.
- 1- and 2-rescuer child CPR and AED use
- 1- and 2-rescuer infant CPR
- Cardiac, respiratory and shock case discussions and simulations
- Management of respiratory emergencies
- Resuscitation team concept
- Rhythm disturbances and electrical therapy
- Systematic Approach to Pediatric Assessment
Course Format / Time:
Renewal Course requires approximately 5-6 hours, including skills practice and skills testing. *course time based on 1 instructor: 6 student: 2 manikins
Classroom-based (instructor and video, with skills conducted throughout)
Course Cost: See course listing.
Class Availability: If the class says "Enroll Now" there is still space in the class. Full classes will display "Sorry, Enrollment Full "
Minimum class size: We will not cancel a class due to a minimum class size. We will hold the class even if only one student enrolls.
Enrollment Cut-off: Enrollment closes when the class is full. Those that enroll within a few days of the class may have their book held until the day of the class.
Certification: Students who successfully complete the PALS Course, including the following components, will receive a PALS Provider Course Completion Card, valid for two years:
- Actively participate in, practice and complete all learning stations
- Complete the closed-book written exam with a minimum score of 84%
- Pass the 1- and 2-Rescuer Child BLS With AED and 1- and 2-Rescuer Infant BLS Skills Tests
- Pass 2 PALS core case scenarios (1 cardiac and 1 respiratory or shock) as a team leader, providing appropriate medical treatment and demonstrating effective team dynamics
Course completion cards will arrive via U.S. postal mail approximately 1-2 weeks after the completion of the course. We can provide proof of attendance at the end of class for those that need immediate proof.
Use of American Heart Association materials in an educational course does not represent course sponsorship by the American Heart Association. Any fees charged for such a course, except for a portion of fees needed for AHA course materials, do not represent income to the Association.